Ukraine - Halifax
Art by Emily Honderich
Olena Lugova story
Olena Lugova is originally from Ukraine. She moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 2018. With a strong background in project management and business administration, she now works in an architectural firm and enjoys every day and every moment of her life. She likes meeting new people, exploring the incredible natural places in Nova Scotia. She enjoys traveling to new countries, but most of all, she loves her family, and she is very proud of each of her family members.
Challenges and Opportunities
I can say that absolutely everyone’s life has changed since “this story” with COVID-19 started.
For my family and me, this time was weird and still is, but I like the positive influence as a result of the pandemic.
- We started spending more time together as schools and offices were closed for a couple of months. We have read, cooked, played computer games, watched movies and news together.
- My kids started thinking of choosing a future job that can be remote because it became essential to work remotely.
- We found so many helpful online resources. We enrolled in different courses, and it helped us get more organized and finish all tasks on time. Now my kids understand time management.
- We have learned the importance of freedom. We can chat with friends while sitting at our favorite cafe, to enjoy the live music of our favorite band, or to visit relatives who live in another country.
- We realized that Canada is always supportive, and we have never felt alone while facing these challenges.
- We know that people in Canada are amazing, kind, and ready to help without hesitation or doubt.
I like the words, “Everything that does not destroy us makes us stronger.” I believe we have to learn our lessons and move forward toward our dreams and aspirations.
"I like the words, “Everything that does not destroy us makes us stronger.” I believe we have to learn our lessons and move forward toward our dreams and aspirations."